I was blessed to be raised by two wonderful parents, Casey and Jean Brown, on a farm straddling the Colorado - New Mexico state line on the La Plata River. After college and while working for my Dad’s range sheep operation, I bought a place at Ignacio. I married my sweetheart, Debbie, on December 4, 1976. We have been blessed with four sons: Joshua, Luke, Levi, and Abraham, two daughters-in-law: Nancy and Stacey, and eleven grandchildren: Stetson, Kacey, Eva, Allison, Ambrielle, Claire, Karver, Catherin, Clairelyn, Jakey, Theo, and Lizzy.
We have expanded our operation to 940 deeded acres plus BLM and US Forest Service allotments where we run up to 3000 ewes and sometimes cattle, depending on the feed available.
I love my church, the Bayfield Church of Christ, and enjoy my role as song leader.
I graduated from Farmington High School with honors in 1971 and continued my education at New Mexico State University where I graduated in 1975 with honors in Animal Science. It was an honor to be named Student of Agriculture 1975, NMSU.
- Business owner and Rancher for over 40 years
- Colorado House of Representatives, 2 terms
- La Plata County Commissioner, 4 years
- Ignacio School District Board of Directors, 12 years
- Colorado Farm Bureau Board of Directors
- CFB Mutual Insurance Co. Board of Directors
- Centennial Investment Co. Board of Directors
- CLUB 20 Board of Directors
- La Plata County Planning Commission
- San Juan Basin Health Board of Directors
- Region 9 Economic Development District Chairman
- Durango Area Chamber Resort Ass’n Economic Development Committee
- Colorado Ass’n of School Boards Legislative & Policy Committee
- La Plata County Home Rule Charter Commission
- Colorado Wool Growers President
- American Sheep Industry Legislative & Policy Committee
- Gov. Romer’s Roundtable on Public Lands
- BP Citizens Advisory Panel
- San Juan National Forest Grazing Advisory Board
- Colorado & La Plata Archuleta Counties Cattlemen’s Ass’ns
- La Plata Archuleta Counties Farm Bureau President & Vice President
- Pine River Southwest Ditch Co. President